[Openstack-operators] Help with novnc proxy

Abel Lopez alopgeek at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 16:02:22 UTC 2013

So, I've been playing around with novnc, to no avail. I'm wondering if I'm
running with old versions of python or python modules. I upgraded
websockify, because I noticed that I had many defunct processes, and I
found https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1048703

Still, just gets me to 'Server Disconnected (code: 1006)"

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 6:49 PM, Juan José Pavlik Salles <jjpavlik at gmail.com
> wrote:

> No problem Jonathan. Abel, could you try this:
>
> nova get-vnc-console instance-id novnc
>
> Does it work?
>

> 2013/9/13 Abel Lopez <alopgeek at gmail.com>
>
>> Thanks both for the tips. I've tried both of your suggestions, and I
>> continue to get the 1006 error.
>> I do notice a brief mention in the VNC status bar about a handshake, I
>> wonder if SSL is required.
>>
>> On Sep 13, 2013, at 1:11 PM, Jonathan Proulx <jon at jonproulx.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Abel,
>>
>> You may be missing "vnc_enabled=True" on compute nodes.
>>

>> Here's what I have usng same packages as you have:
>>
>> Controller:
>>
>> # grep vnc /etc/nova/nova.conf
>> novncproxy_port=6080
>> novncproxy_host=0.0.0.0
>>
>> Compute Node:
>> # grep vnc /etc/nova/nova.conf
>> vnc_enabled=True
>> vncserver_proxyclient_address=${node_ip}
>> novncproxy_base_url=http://${controller_ip}:6080/vnc_auto.html
>> vncserver_listen=0.0.0.0
>>
>> I believe Setting 'vncserver_listen=0.0.0.0' is required on the compute
>> hosts if you want migration to work, though I also think your configured
>> IPs should work in the non-migratory case.
>>
>> -Jon
>>
>> (PS apologies to Juan for accidentally sending this to him personally...)
>>

>> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 3:37 PM, Abel Lopez <alopgeek at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello ops,
>>> I'm following the docs for setting novnc_proxy, and starting to get
>>> frustrated with the constant "Server disconnected (code: 1006)" message.
>>>
>>> I've setup nova.conf on my controller as:
>>> novncproxy_base_url=http://${public_ip}:6080/vnc_auto.html
>>> novncproxy_host=${public_ip}
>>> novncproxy_port=6080
>>>
>>> my compute nodes have
>>> novncproxy_base_url=
>>> http://${public_ip_of_the_controller}:6080/vnc_auto.html
>>> vncserver_listen=${internal ip of this compute node}