[Openstack-operators] Windows VirtIO driver issues

Joe Topjian joe.topjian at cybera.ca
Wed Sep 18 15:42:09 UTC 2013

Hello,

On the topic of Windows problems (Jon's email reminded me to send this), I
ran into a really frustrating issue a few days ago.

I was creating some new Windows images and decided to use the latest VirtIO
drivers. All images (Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2012 based)
were able to boot and run just fine, but they would all blue screen
whenever I attached a volume.

Upon reboot, the volume would be attached.

When detaching the volume, they would all blue screen and the volume would
be gone upon reboot.

The *only* version of the VirtIO drivers that worked for me is this one:

http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/virtio-win/archives/virtio-win-0.1-30/

The windows images were used against the latest libvirt/KVM on Ubuntu 12.04.

Has anyone else run into this issue?

Thanks,
Joe

--
Joe Topjian
Systems Architect

www.cybera.ca

Cybera is a not-for-profit organization that works to spur and support
innovation, for the economic benefit of Alberta, through the use
of cyberinfrastructure.