[Openstack-operators] Image rootfs-resize tool, updated

Joe Topjian joe.topjian at cybera.ca
Tue Oct 29 15:05:55 UTC 2013

Nice - thanks!

Just thinking out loud (I haven't looked into this yet), but is it possible
to add a tool like this as a hook every time a new kernel is installed?

I have a grow-able CentOS image and what I've found is that users will
create a CentOS instance, update all packages (including the kernel), and
then create a personal snapshot of the result. When they launch a new
instance based on their snapshot, the root disk is not the correct size.

The workaround is to boot with the original kernel either one time or
permanently.

Thinking out loud again: this is one of those issues that might seem small
in grand scope of things, but very big from a support / front-line
perspective...

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 8:43 AM, Robert Plestenjak <
robert.plestenjak at xlab.si> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have reworked my previous tool I've made for CentOS. New tool supports
> CentOS, Debian 6 and Debian 7, other distros can be added without much work
> (I hope).
>
> As before, LVM is not supported (yet), but I'm working on it(TM).
>
> https://github.com/flegmatik/linux-rootfs-resize.git
>
> - Robert

Joe Topjian
Systems Architect
Cybera Inc.

www.cybera.ca

Cybera is a not-for-profit organization that works to spur and support
innovation, for the economic benefit of Alberta, through the use
of cyberinfrastructure.