[Openstack-operators] Cells striped across various geographic locations

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Fri Oct 11 00:31:20 UTC 2013

On 11/10/13 05:36, Mike Wilson wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone has experience deploying cells striped across
> multiple geographic locations? To give a little context on this, I
> really like the way that cells isolates your domain of failure, but one
> kicker for me is that it doesn't look like migration across cells works
> currently or is very trivial to implement. Having it striped across
> different locations eliminates most of my need to migrate. So
> potentially eliminates my biggest concern. From what I can tell it looks
> like it should work okay. Any comments?

Having personally used them over an 1800km link (1200 miles), cells
across multiple locations works very well!

The team at NeCTAR currently has a cloud running with 6 cells spread
around Australia, and they're normally fairly open to questions about
how things are going.

You can't do live migrations between cells, but inside a cell they work
fine.

Regards,

Tom