[Openstack-operators] [Grizzly] Problems with DHCP Agents

Lorin Hochstein lorin at nimbisservices.com
Tue Nov 26 14:21:43 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 9:18 AM, Samuel Winchenbach <swinchen at gmail.com>wrote:

> I will give it a shot.  Does it matter that it is inside the namespace?

I believe the iptables rules are local to network namespaces, so it would
need to be inside of the dhcp namespace.

> I noticed this rule outside of all the namespaces:
>
> Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 166K packets, 50M bytes)
>  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
> destination
>  176M  224G nova-api-POSTROUTING  all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0
>      0.0.0.0/0
>     0     0 CHECKSUM   udp  --  *      virbr0  0.0.0.0/0
> 0.0.0.0/0            udp dpt:68 CHECKSUM fill
>
> Thanks!

That rule only applies to the virbr0 bridge, which isn't used by OpenStack.
That rule would only be in effect if you started up a VM directly through
libvirt and specified the use of libvirt networking. Since OpenStack VMs
aren't attached to virbr0, the packets are never going to hit that rule.

Lorin