[Openstack-operators] Fwd: [Openstack] [Nova] Proposed removal of the PowerVM driver

Jesse Pretorius jesse.pretorius at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 11:29:05 UTC 2013

On 22 November 2013 17:15, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:

> The maintainers of the PowerVM driver have proposed that it be removed
> from Nova.  Their reasons are:
>
>  - it is no longer in line with IBM's strategic direction with OpenStack
>
>  - they are not aware of anyone ever having used the driver (outside of
>    the team that developed and maintained it)
>
> The second point is quite important.  If anyone is using it that they do
> not know of, we need to find out.  Normally we would approach something
> like this with a phased deprecation plan (mark it deprecated in
> Icehouse, remove it in J).  There is a non-zero cost to keeping the
> code, so if we can remove it immediately, there is some benefit to Nova
> development.
>
> If you have an interest in this driver, please speak now.

We've been doing a little dev testing with it and have plans to take it
into production within the next year. While we'd not be thrilled to have it
outside of the nova code tree, if it's still openly accessible and
deployable on Ubuntu then we'd be ok with that.

We'd be interested in understanding the 'strategic direction' that's
causing this action. I would hope that this is not the start of a broader
separation from keeping all commits in the public space and part of the
community.