[Openstack-operators] New compute node, new libvirt_cpu_mode

Samuel Winchenbach swinchen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 19:57:32 UTC 2013

Hi All.

I was wondering what the implications of changing libvirt_cpu_mode from the
default (host-passthrough) to none might be?   I setup a new compute node
that has a slightly newer processor model than the other nodes and live
migration is NOT happy about that.   I have done some reading and
discovered setting libvirt_cpu_mode=none should help solve the problem.
 What can I expect if I do this?   I am assuming a slight performance hit
as the VM will not have access to certain processor extensions.  Here is a
list of /proce/cpuinfo for two vms (one with =none and the other default).

http://paste.openstack.org/show/52519/

It is clear that the default mode enables more processor extensions.

Is there any other way around this problem?

Thanks,
Sam