[Openstack-operators] resizing an instance

Joshua Harlow harlowja at yahoo-inc.com
Tue May 21 22:24:07 UTC 2013

Hi Ryan,

Yes it is a little bit weird,  I think the reasons its doing this is likely due to it being the most generic solution to the resizing problem. I believe there is a flag like 'resize_same_host' but I haven't used it that might help.

I think your concern is valid though and could/should(?) be fixed.

You could imagine the scheduler 'preferring' the origin compute and the origin compute node in this case doing a 'fast path' resize path that would trigger the compute manager to just move some folders around (instead of invoking the ssh sequence you talked about). This would seem to make sense to me and would avoid the 'slow path' of actually moving the instance (and disks and so on) to a new node since the origin node doesn't have enough space/cpu/memory… That would make sense to me and likely with beefy enough compute nodes the 'fast path' would be the common case.

-Josh