[Openstack-operators] resizing an instance

Ryan Lane rlane at wikimedia.org
Tue May 21 21:25:45 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 2:20 PM, Juan José Pavlik Salles <jjpavlik at gmail.com
> wrote:

> I'm not sure about your deployment, but i noticed that when i try to
> resize a vm nova also tries to move the vm to another compute-node, so if
> you don't have a shared storage for the VMs this is not possible (unless
> your compute-node can ssh to the other compute-node ofcourse). I found in
> my logs thigs like "*ssh root at node2 mkdir -p
> /var/lib/nova/instances/instances_dir"* when trying to resize a VM.
> Tomorrow i'll trying resizing with shared storage and i'll let you know.

Yes. This is the weirdest behavior. Why in the world is it necessary to
move the instance to another compute node just to do a resize? It requires
ssh between instances, makes the process *much* slower and also makes it
way more error prone. I don't get it. This seems like a really convoluted
way of handling resizes.

Is there some really great reasoning behind this?

- Ryan