[Openstack-operators] Graceful VM shutdown

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Thu May 16 18:02:53 UTC 2013

I am interested to see how other service providers handle the cases where there is a need to reboot a hypervisor but it is planned
(such as a reboot after OS patching).

We do not want to do live or block migration for these cases as there is no shared storage and block migration can be a bit
unreliable at times.

In my ideal case, we would be able to warn the VMs in some way so they can do a reasonable job of shutting down. In some cases, our
users would like many minutes of notice to complete their current transaction.

Does anyone know of a standard mechanism for hypervisor communicating to the guest to warn of an impending shutdown ?

Tim