[Openstack-operators] DNS options for nova

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Thu Mar 21 21:46:22 UTC 2013

Hi.

I've been playing with the DNS drivers in nova recently, and I'm
trying to decide if anyone actually uses it. The only driver in the
codebase that looks useful a the moment is the LDAP backed DNS driver
that Wikimedia wrote.

There's also stackforge project called Moniker which implements DNS as
a service, but its a lot more complicated that the nova DNS driver
(multiple daemons, a database, message queues).

So... Do you use the nova DNS drivers? Would you be filled with rage
if I deleted them?

On the flip side, would you use a TSIG dyndns driver if I added it to
nova? What if I moved the DNS driver layer to the compute manger in
nova so that it worked as well with Quantum?

Or are you using Moniker? If so, what do you think of it? Or does
Quantum have a solution to this that I should be looking at?

Thanks,
Michael