[Openstack-operators] Cannot create Instances

Sylvain Bauza sylvain.bauza at digimind.com
Thu Mar 21 08:39:40 UTC 2013

Le 20/03/2013 21:11, Steven Barnabas a écrit :
> Ok, I have successfully created a windows image using an ISO.   I am
> going to try a different VMDK image that I have to see if it works.
>  If not, then I will convert it to QCOW2 format using a different
> machine.  I don't want to mess up my Compute box by trying to upgrade
> Qemu.  I know I will mess something up :)

Cool to hear that. Anyway, upgrading to Qemu 1.3 on Ubuntu 12.04 was
pretty straight for me and not regressive :
apt-get install zlib1g-dev libsdl1.2-dev libpcap-dev texinfo autoconf
libtool build-essential
wget http://wiki.qemu-project.org/download/qemu-1.3.1.tar.bz2
tar jxvf qemu-1.3.1.tar.bz2
cd qemu-1.3.1
./configure --target-list=x86_64-linux-user,x86_64-softmmu # Depending
on your platform of course
make
sudo make install

It will deploy qemu in /usr/local/bin/ while the Ubuntu qemu-1.0 package
is based in /usr/bin.

So as to get it work with libvirt and nova, you have to make sure you
have hvm capabilities (check with 'virsh capabilities'), and if not,
this is due to the fact that libvirt is requesting
/usr/bin/qemu-system.<platform>

In order to fix this, a quick "mv /usr/bin/qemu-system.<platform>
/usr/bin/qemu-system.<platform>.0 && mv
/usr/local/bin/qemu-system.<platform> /usr/bin' does the trick.

Hopefully, nova is following the path for qemu-img, which makes
unnecessary to switch versions as above.

-Sylvain