[Openstack-operators] /var/lib/nova/instances fs filled up corrupting my Linux instances

Conor Glynn cglynn at sportingindex.com
Wed Mar 13 14:21:25 UTC 2013

Hi,
I had a problem where /var/lib/nova/instances fs filled up causing problems with all my running instances... I have cleared out the old unused instance data and increased the filesystem and can boot and see windows instances... but all my Linux instances have become corrupt, I can build new instances but my existing instances are all getting the following errors on boot:
it gets to the grub screen then immediately after that an error appears:
hd0 write error, press any key to continue
then it tries to boot and the following appears:
IO errors on /dev/vda
mount: mounting /dev/disk/by-uuid/c92aacb9-4cf2-446e-9317-d81f005dd5c7 on /root failed: Invalid argument

Details of Env:
folsom: 1 controller, 2 compute nodes
/var/lib/nova/instances is an netapp NFS attached fs
My Linux instances use lvm

Has anybody come across this before, what can I do to get dev vda back to my instance?
conor

Please consider the environment before printing this email or attachments

This email and any attachments are confidential, protected by copyright and may be legally privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, then the dissemination or copying of this email is prohibited. If you have received this in error, please notify the sender by replying by email and then delete the email completely from your system.  Neither Sporting Index nor the sender accepts responsibility for any virus, or any other defect which might affect any computer or IT system into which the email is received and/or opened.  It is the responsibility of the recipient to scan the email and no responsibility is accepted for any loss or damage arising in any way from receipt or use of this email.  Sporting Index Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales with company number 2636842, whose registered office is at Gateway House, Milverton Street, London, SE11 4AP.  Sporting Index Ltd is authorised and regulated by the UK Financial Services Authority (reg. no. 150404) and Gambling Commission (reg. no. 000-027343-R-308898-001).  Any financial promotion contained herein has been issued
and approved by Sporting Index Ltd.

Outbound email has been scanned for viruses and SPAM