[Openstack-operators] Geo-Replication...

Adam Morris adam.morris at multiscalehn.com
Mon Jun 10 20:19:35 UTC 2013

Jesse Pretorius Said:

> Excellent advice, thank you for sharing. :) This brings to mind another
> area that needs discussion - that of geo-replication or implementations
> across various geo's. Perhaps that should be shared in alternative threads.

Indeed, and that's another topic that interests me (professionally at
least).  We have two data centers in different geographic zones and
currently have a swift cluster in one of them.  We are looking at adding a
second swift cluster in the other, and are curious what replication options
we have.

We are currently using Swift with Keystone.  Keystone is using Galera
across three nodes for it's database.  We are using HA-Proxy as a load
balancer for both the swift proxies and the the keystone nodes.

For the Swift data my understanding is that if we upgrade to Grizzly we
have more options for Geo-replication.  i.e. we can add Regions and add
nodes in the same cluster split across the two regions.

We could also use container synchronisation on our Folsom cluster  to sync
to a different cluster in the other data center.

I don't know if it would be possible for us to do some other form of
synchronisation between the two clusters.

So, is anyone doing this and how successful is it?

Adam