[Openstack-operators] HA configuration in OpenStack

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 17:15:32 UTC 2013

On 06/04/2013 04:38 AM, Jesse Pretorius wrote:
<snip>

> Note that almost all of Openstack's services can run active-active if
> you implement it correctly (usually combined with memcached). There is
> therefore little need for active/passive clusters. The only place where
> active/passive setups are needed is for your database (eg: MySQL) or
> your message queue (eg: RabbitMQ). Even then, both of those can be
> configured to be active-active in a cluster.

With the exception of Quantum l3-agent :( This is the main sticking
point I have with deploying Quantum right now... vs. multihost nova-network.

What this means in practical terms for us at AT&T is that we can use our
F5s to spread load and manage active/active endpoints for everything
(including our DB and MQ) -- except for Quantum. And that means
exceptions in the Chef cookbooks. And deploying Pacemaker where we
didn't need to deploy it previously. And exceptions in the deployment
mean technical debt. And technical debt makes Jay a sad panda.

-jay