[Openstack-operators] operator challenges with MySQL

Sushil Suresh Sushil.Suresh at rackspace.co.uk
Mon Jul 8 10:47:04 UTC 2013

Hi Matt,

Welcome to the list.
I shall try and do a brain dump, but it may end up throw more questions at you.

DB Migrations.
----------------------
Openstack is a very fast evolving project, which is great. However that means there are quite a lot of db migrations which add and remove  columns to existing tables and perform similar operations with indexes etc.

If you have a production environment that is heavily used like ours, you are looking at having millions of rows in each of these tables.

As a developer writing code and testing, these migrations work perfectly well.
Typical tests are performed with test databases containing only test data which never comes up to millions or records.
Further more there is no production load on the test database actively trying to write stuff when you are altering the tables.

Database abstraction with SQLAlchemy is great, but it generally mean your schema alterations end up having the standard ALTER TABLE syntax.

I have personally used Percona's pt-online-schema-change.html to get me out of some of these sticky situations.
http://www.percona.com/doc/percona-toolkit/2.2/pt-online-schema-change.html
BTW, Thank you very much for the above tool.

There is a risk in using such approaches as you want to make sure that you are not deviating even in the slightest of manner from what would have been achieved using the standard alter table. There is some work being done to introduce archiving of data etc, which will help keep data growth in checks. Also using an online schema change becomes tricky when you have foreign key constraints on tables or if you have setup triggers for your table. (thankfully no triggers yet).

High Availability is also something that that I think could so with some attention.
http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-ha/content/ch-intro.html
The above page does detail the current recommended approach for setting up highly available mysql database servers.
The current approach is great if you are using dedicated hardware and have separate physical switches etc.
It does work reasonably well in a virtualised environment too, but one needs to take into account several other factors.

With mysql 5.6 support global transaction ID, (GTID) and improvements in galera and PXC(percona xtradb cluster)
I think there is definitely room to review the current recommended solutions

I guess that is enough of me rambling.

--
Regards
Sushil Suresh.