[Openstack-operators] CentOS image

Joe Topjian joe.topjian at cybera.ca
Tue Jul 2 18:13:39 UTC 2013

Hi Lorin,

I was working on this the week before last and ran into the same problems
you've described. I was on vacation last week, but before I left, I had a
solution that I'm 99% happy with -- I just need to do some final testing.

Dean Troyer has some great CentOS build scripts
here<https://github.com/dtroyer/image-recipes>.
These scripts will build a CentOS image on the fly from start to finish.
The only issue I ran into was with udev: On first boot, udev will record
the MAC addresses of the virtual NIC(s) in the instance. If you create a
snapshot, these records are not removed and so udev renames the interfaces
to something else.

Here is my fork <https://github.com/jtopjian/image-recipes> of the scripts
which resolves this udev issue.

If you use these scripts, let me know if you run into any issues. I hope to
finish up my testing either this week or next week and finally have a good
(on par with Ubuntu) CentOS cloud image -- even better that it can be
generated on the fly and receive all current updates.

Joe

On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 12:46 PM, Lorin Hochstein
<lorin at nimbisservices.com>wrote:

> Robert:
>
> This script doesn't support LVM partitions, does it?
>
> Also, I've discovered that it breaks if there's a /boot partition.
> Apparently, if a boot partition is present then grub prepends a "/boot" to
> the paths for the kernel and ramdisk, and this script also prepends /boot.
>
> Lorin
>

> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 8:38 AM, Robert Plestenjak <
> robert.plestenjak at xlab.si> wrote:
>
>> Almost forgot, don't forget to install 'wget' and 'openssh-clients'
>>
>> - Robert

Joe Topjian
Systems Architect
Cybera Inc.

www.cybera.ca

Cybera is a not-for-profit organization that works to spur and support
innovation, for the economic benefit of Alberta, through the use
of cyberinfrastructure.