[Openstack-operators] Setting up openstack to use 2 pools of compute nodes on essex?

Lorin Hochstein lorin at nimbisservices.com
Mon Jan 14 20:16:53 UTC 2013

Zach:

I think you can use availability zones for this. Set the
node_availability_zone flag in nova.conf to, say, "zone1" for the compute
hosts in one pool, and "zone2" for the other one.

When you call "nova boot" to start an instance, use the --availability-zone
flag to specify zone1 or zone2.

Take care,

Lorin

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 3:05 PM, Zach Easterbrook <fishlikehexagon at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi there, I'm an intern at a tech company and we're beginning to use
> openstack for a project within my team. Right now we have a small rack with
> 7 servers- one of these is set up as the controller node with glance /
> keystone / horizon / nova stuff, etc., The other 6 servers are very basic
> and just have the nova-api, nova-cert, nova-compute, and nova-network
> packages installed.
>
> So you may have noticed we're on essex for now..we tried getting folsom to
> work but there were some hiccups.
>
> Does anyone know how we could separate our compute nodes into two
> different pools and then be able to deploy a VM to one of the pools? i.e,
> we'd put three nodes into pool1 and 3 into pool2, then from the CLI / web
> interface we'd be able to select pool1 as the target of deployment.
>
> If anyone has any ideas let me know, it'd be appreciated. If I'm on the
> wrong track letting me know about that would also be appreciated.
>
> Regards.

Lorin Hochstein
Lead Architect - Cloud Services
Nimbis Services, Inc.