[Openstack-operators] Change admin password on already running instance

John Garbutt john at johngarbutt.com
Wed Feb 6 18:05:27 UTC 2013

I am fairly sure this only works with XenServer (or XCP) when you have
the openstack guest agent install that can respond to the reset
password request.

Of course there are other agents you would use to help reset the
password, but there are no integrations with OpenStack that I know
about.

Things like cloud-init can certainly help with the initial password setting.

You might also find the user could use the "rescue" server feature to
extract any information they might need:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/rescue-mode

John

On 6 February 2013 02:45, Ajiva Fan <aji.zqfan at gmail.com> wrote:
> i have this question too.
>
> since kvm as hypervisor in my case, i'm wondering if this api only
> available on xen?
>
> On 2/6/13, Abel Lopez <alopgeek at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just a thought, but if you're using the API in this manner to change the
>> admin password, one would assume that you have something inside the VM to
>> respond to it, like cloud-init, or something, then perhaps it wouldn't take
>> effect until the next reboot (or manual run)
>>

>> On Feb 5, 2013, at 7:59 AM, Alexandra Kisin wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is there any way to use OpenStack API to change admin (root) password on
>>> already running instance ?
>>> Which special configuration should be done on compute node or controller
>>> or
>>> basic image to make it work ?
>>> I've tried to run
>>>
>>> curl -v -H 'X-Auth-Token: 3d9bd4afb993447d8a428d2ec10fcf11' -H
>>> http://localhost:8774/v2.0/3bb69a4204334bfc98e0199cb33000ea/servers/c7108f77-98e7-4fd2-b53d-b1e1f36fde40/action
>>>
>>> " -d '{"changePassword":{"adminPass":"welcome"}}'
>>>
>>> And I'm getting HTTP 202 which seems to be ok.
>>> But actually the root password of the instance was not changed.
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>>
>>> Alexandra Kisin
>>> Servers & Network group, IBM R&D Labs in Israel
>>> Unix & Virtualization Team

John Garbutt MA (Cantab) MBCS
13 Greenhaze Lane
Great Cambourne