[Openstack-operators] [Grizzly] Migrating VMs to compute node with newer processor

Samuel Winchenbach swinchen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 20:59:57 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I have tried everything I can think of to migrate a VM to a node running a
newer processor.  I have tried setting "libvirt_cpu_mode=none" on both
hosts, I have tried creating a custom CPU, etc.  This is what I found
worked:  Stop the instance, change "host", "node" and "launched_on" to the
new hostname in the instances table in the nova database, then hard reboot
the instance.  Something like this:

~# nova stop <UUID>
~# mysql -u root -p
mysql> use nova;
mysql> update instances set host='<NEWHOST>', node='<NEWHOST>',
launched_on='<NEWHOST>' where uuid='<UUID>';
mysql> exit
~# nova reboot --hard <UUID>

So I have two questions about doing it this way:
1) Is there anything else in the database I need to change?
2) Are there any files I need to delete from the old host other than the
instance XML file in  /etc/libvirt/qemu?

Thanks!
Sam