[Openstack-operators] Reference architecture for medium sized environment

Joe Topjian joe.topjian at cybera.ca
Mon Aug 19 20:25:42 UTC 2013

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 2:14 PM, Mitch Anderson <mitch at metauser.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 1:56 PM, Joe Topjian <joe.topjian at cybera.ca>wrote:
>
>> If you can afford it, look at the r720xd. It's a monster in terms of how
>> much storage and RAM it can support. You can purchase a "lightly"
>> configured one and upgrade later. For example, purchase it with two
>> internal 2.5" drives for the OS and four 3.5" drives for storage (ceph or
>> whatever you decide to go with). It can handle an addition eight 3.5"
>> drives for later expansion
>

> I thought that was what was great about the R515's(2x 2.5" flex drive bays
> and 12x 3.5" External Hot Swap)... they carry the same drive counts as the
> R720xd's but.. online run ~$2300 cheaper when configured similarly.  Had
> read that DreamHost uses them for their Ceph Cluster as well... figured
> that was the reason.

Ah, good point. It looks like the r720xd supports more RAM and storage (as
well as a few more drive types), but definitely nothing that would make it
a clear winner.

--
Joe Topjian
Systems Architect

www.cybera.ca

Cybera is a not-for-profit organization that works to spur and support
innovation, for the economic benefit of Alberta, through the use
of cyberinfrastructure.