[Openstack-operators] Reference architecture for medium sized environment

Mitch Anderson mitch at metauser.net
Sat Aug 17 06:05:58 UTC 2013

aHi all,

I've been looking around for example architectures for types of sytems and
numbers for an HA setup of Openstack Grizzly (Probably won't go live until
after havana is released).

I've done a Simple Non-HA setup with Mirantis' Fuel.  Which has worked out
well.  And they're documented Production HA setup is with 3 Controllers and
N compute nodes...

If I were to use Ceph for storage I would need a minimum of atleast 3
nodes.  I was looking to make my compute nodes have minimal disk space so
only my Controllers would have storage (for Glance, DB's, etc..) and the
Ceph storage nodes would have the rest.  Is this solution preferred?  Or,
do I run Ceph on the compute nodes?  If so, what size nodes should they be
then?  I'd like to run 40-60 VM's per compute node of varying sizes and
needs.

Any pointers would be much appreciated!

-Mitch Anderson