[Openstack-operators] [Neutron] where are my dhcp packets getting lost?

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Wed Aug 14 16:47:59 UTC 2013

Hi All,

My goal is to setup a network using grizzly-quantum on Ubuntu 12.04 (cloud
archive) that will allow VMs direct IP (no nat) connection to an existing
network and external router but use quantum-dhcp-agent for IPAM so users
can easily discover their address assignments.

My current attempt at this is using the OVS plugin and a vlan based
provider network.

On the compute nodes this is working, VMs get on teh correct vlan and if I
configure an external DHCP server they get addresses and connection (though
discovering what address they got is a challenge)

The requests get to the network controller on bond0 (what I expect) but
they don't get to the dhcp interface (ip netns exec
qdhcp-0a1d0a27-cffa-4de3-92c5-9d3fd3f2e74d tcpdump -i tap9bc9680d-2a)

I don't know if this is incorrect bridge setup (which has tripped me up
before in ovs land), or the net namespaces which I'm also unfamiliar with.

OVS bits

the physical network "trunk" is what was specified in network creation,
it's an interface with no IP addr and a small pile of tagged vlans

on the computenodes:
# plugin ini
bridge_mappings = trunk:eth1-br

root at nova-58:~# ovs-vsctl list-ports eth1-br
eth1
phy-eth1-br
root at nova-58:~# ovs-vsctl list-ports br-int
int-br-eth1
int-eth1-br
patch-tun
tap66012388-3a   <- this is the VM

on network node:
# plugin ini
physical_interface_mappings=trunk:bond0,default:bond0.2113
network_vlan_ranges = trunk:2112:2114
bridge_mappings=trunk:bond0-br

root at nimbus-0:~# ovs-vsctl list-ports bond0-br
bond0
phy-bond0-br
root at nimbus-0:~# ovs-vsctl list-ports br-int
int-bond0-br
patch-tun
qr-08ea752e-e0
qr-89a1efea-e9
tap6d0145d5-72
tap76d1b368-57
tap9bc9680d-2a    <- this is the interface in the dhcp server namespace for
this net

why aren't the bits getting from bond0 to the dhcp service?

Thanks,
-Jon