[Openstack-operators] VM status keeps ACTIVE after its nova-compute host is powered off

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Aug 7 11:34:59 UTC 2013

On 7 August 2013 21:16, matt <matt at nycresistor.com> wrote:
> That is certainly a potential problem.

So I think we should separate out 'observed state' from 'intended state'.

Then in a lost-connection-to-hypervisor we can report that the
observed state is 'unknown'. If the hypervisor is hard rebooted we can
report the observed state as down (and automatically restart the vm's
if their intended state is active). And so on....

We ran into a nasty bug with this with bare metal where lost IPMI
polls would lead to powering off physical servers; we solved that
narrowly but in a similar fashion... I think a systematic change of
this sort would be good.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>