[Openstack-operators] ZFS and OpenStack

Jaren Janke fractil at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 01:10:47 UTC 2013

Hey Joe...

dedup is off...

I used LZJB compression on my first attempts at using ZFS over NFS for
openstack, but I did experience problems. I suspect the problems were due
to delays or overhead caused by compression or compression related
processes. I did not experiment with gzip compression. I have an 8TB ZFS
share for each blade enclosure, so storage capacity is not a issue (right
now anyway). So I disabled compression on my openstack shares. It has been
working very well. I run a 10G network and I am getting better throughput
with open-solaris ZFS shares over NFS than I was with an HP EVA over fibre
channel at a fraction of the cost and maintenance time. The HP guys will
argue night and day about that, but it's hard to ignore the real world
results and the cost savings. The only other issue I had was the one I
mentioned previously regarding NFS version 4, but forcing NFS version 3
fixed that.

Regards,

Jaren