[Openstack-operators] Configuring NFS for Grizzly - Cinder

Joe Topjian joe.topjian at cybera.ca
Thu Apr 18 18:20:19 UTC 2013

Hi Mitch,

To use NFS for instance storage, just mount an NFS export under
/var/lib/nova/instances. This is the default directory where instances are
stored. As long as nova has write access to the mounted directory, that
should be it.

Cinder takes no part in instance storage so there's no actual driver. There
is an NFS driver for volumes, though. This is described here:
http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-block-storage/admin/content/NFS-driver.html

I hope that clarifies things for you.

Joe

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 9:26 AM, Mitch Anderson <mitch at metauser.net> wrote:

> I'm new to openstack and was wanting to use NFS for my vm storage.  I see
> mention of the driver but have yet to figure out where services need to be
> configured for it all to work.
>
> Is there any documentation out there for configuring NFS storage in a
> multi node environment?  Do just the compute nodes need to be able to mount
> it?  Do I still configure the cinder-api and cinder-scheduler on the
> controller?
>
> My reference at this point has been this doc:
> https://github.com/mseknibilel/OpenStack-Grizzly-Install-Guide/blob/OVS_MultiNode/OpenStack_Grizzly_Install_Guide.rst
>
> But I'm at the point of installing cinder, and its doing everything on the
> controller with the loop driver.  And my controller doesn't have enough
> disk space for more than a few VM's... and I'd like to be able to spin up
> enough to max out my two compute nodes.
>
> Any guides or general information would be much appreciated.
>
> -Mitch

Joe Topjian
Systems Administrator
Cybera Inc.

www.cybera.ca

Cybera is a not-for-profit organization that works to spur and support
innovation, for the economic benefit of Alberta, through the use
of cyberinfrastructure.