[Openstack-operators] /var/lib/nova/instances fs filled up corrupting my Linux instances

Andrew Glen-Young andrew.glen-young at canonical.com
Wed Apr 3 21:52:39 UTC 2013

Hello All,

Apologies, I'm a little late to reply to this thread.

On Sat 16-03-2013 22:38 ›, Lorin Hochstein wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 9:13 PM, Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 8:50 PM, Blair Bethwaite
> > <blair.bethwaite at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> I think my overall learning from this thread is that there's no point
> > disabling features for a few releases so that operators can test in a
> > staged manner -- the reality is that testing doesn't occur.
> >

> Here's a broader question: what are the other implicit assumptions that
> devs are making about how ops...er...operate? How can the OpenStack project
> take the experiences of operators and feed that back to the developers so
> they know what people are really doing in practice?

I have added a note about the new behaviour of the image-cache-manager
to the 'Upgrade Notes' section of Grizzly's release notes.

This is one way developers can communicate these changes to operators.

> For example: do the devs know the circumstances for which operators have to
> poke directly at the database to perform tasks because they can't do what
> they want with the existing tools?

IMHO these circumstances are bugs that should be filed. In my experience
the developers are very responsive to address these issues.

This is one way operators can communicate their needs to developers.

HTH,

--
Regards.
Andrew Glen-Young