[Openstack-operators] flavor management

Joe Topjian joe.topjian at cybera.ca
Mon Apr 1 22:22:01 UTC 2013

Hello,

I am curious how others handle flavor management in their clouds.

Currently, all of our flavors have the same root and ephemeral disk size
but different amounts of RAM and CPU. This is to help steer users into
using volume storage.

However, we occasionally get a request for a larger than default root disk
size. We're trying to think of the best way to handle these scenarios.
We're hesitant to create a new global flavor with a larger root volume
because we don't want to see wide adoption of it. Creating a flavor,
letting a user launch the instance, and then removing the flavor would lead
to some very bad database/system integrity. Another option we thought of
was to manually increase the user's instance on a per-request,
post-launched scenario, but that isn't very cloudy at all.

Boot from Volume might be a possibility, but does anyone have a procedure
to create a Windows bootable volume?

Thanks,
Joe

--
Joe Topjian
Systems Administrator

www.cybera.ca

Cybera is a not-for-profit organization that works to spur and support
innovation, for the economic benefit of Alberta, through the use
of cyberinfrastructure.