[Openstack-operators] Overselling/Oversubscribing RAM

Diego Parrilla Santamaría diego.parrilla.santamaria at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 16:12:40 UTC 2012

Yes, overcommiting or not overcommiting RAM: that is the question ;-)

The only reason for not recommending memory overcommitment is because it's
hard to define a good Service Level Agreement.

KVM does allow memory overcommitment and it works. We can guarantee it. KSM
works (http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/KSM). But it's difficult to predict
the performance impact of this technique. Hence, we can find situations
where a Service Provider using StackOps Enterprise Edition (Openstack Nova
on steroids  in the end) can complain of unexpected bad performance because
a customer uses big Windows VMs in a physical server mixed with FreeBSD and
Linux, for example.

So, if you can live without strict SLAs, no problem. But if your business
relies on SLAs signed with end customers, you should better avoid memory
overcommitment. RAM is not so expensive and may be you can overcommit
storage instead, for example.

Cheers
Diego

P.D.: What I don't recommend in any way is overselling resources.
Overcommitting must be a very controlled technique. I consider overselling
an abuse.
 --
Diego Parrilla
 <http://www.stackops.com/>*CEO*