[Openstack-operators] Cinder/ nova-volume safe and efficient deployments

Razique Mahroua razique.mahroua at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 10:07:50 UTC 2012

Hi guys,
I put my essex cloud in production, but today I'm not making use of Cinder/ nova-volume since I lack of a good strategy concerning its usage. This is not so much about the backend storage (the LVM volume would be located on a cluster - but the its usage

In my case,  I use ISCSI driver, so a iscsi target is mounted on the compute node that runs the instances then libvirt performs the attachment. Originally, cinder/n-v aimed to provide a non-ephemeral space for consumers assuming instances are stateless.
In my case, instances cannot be stateless, simply put, many business softwares have their load of cumbersome complexity making any puppet-like system fundamentally unable to work (you don't re-deploy a payment system when your instance crashes - technically we could, but the consumer won't redevelop his products because of the underlying layer)
Even if cloud computing calls for a new approach and way of thinking the software structures, in the fact, much companies simply don't have the time and resources, so they only want paying on the usage - a practice cloud computing makes possible.

Anyway...my point being have you good usage to share with me/ us about how you make good use of cinder/n-v especially the HA
- Suppose you run a database located on a volume, how do you handle network outage between the cinder/n-v and the compute node ?
- The instance crashes, you retrieve the domain (libvirt's) and the instance's disk, how do you handle the reattachment ?

Thanks for reading
Razique

Nuage & Co - Razique Mahroua
razique.mahroua at gmail.com