[Openstack-operators] Live migration

Paul Walton paul.d.walton at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 19:16:49 UTC 2012

Well, I guess my real question next is, what happens when a VM is running
on a compute node and that node simply fails for whatever reason?  Does
OpenStack have any way to detect a compute node failure, and attempt to
migrate its VMs to another node?  I realize that the real VM and the
migrated VM may be out of sync with each other, but I'm assuming that a
relatively recent version of the VM is still present on the distributed
file system to facilitate migration.

Obviously, regular backups would be required for a real disaster recovery,
but the VMs I'm talking about won't be changing much, and being a few
minutes out of sync won't be a problem.