[Openstack-operators] [Openstack] Quantum vs. Nova-network in Folsom

andi abes andi.abes at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 12:23:14 UTC 2012

late to the party... but I'll dabble.

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Chris Wright <chrisw at sous-sol.org> wrote:
> * Rob_Hirschfeld at Dell.com (Rob_Hirschfeld at Dell.com) wrote:
>> We've been discussing using Open vSwitch as the basis for non-Quantum Nova Networking deployments in Folsom.  While not Quantum, it feels like we're bringing Nova Networking a step closer to some of the core technologies that Quantum uses.
>
> To what end?

OVS provides much more robust monitoring and operational facilities
(e.g sFlow monitoring, better switch table visibility etc).
It also provides a linux-bridge compatibility layer (ovs-brcompatd
[1]), which should work out-of-box with the linux-bridge. As such,
switching to using OVS rather than the linux bridge could be done
without any code changes to nova, just deployment changes (e.g. ensure
that ovs-brcompatd is running to intercept brctl ioctl's - [2]).

For the more adventurous, there could be any number of interesting
scenarios enabled by having access to ovs capabilities  (e.g.
tunneling)

>> I'm interested in hearing what other's in the community think about this approach.

I'm similarly curious if any *operators* have experimented with OVS
and sFlow or other of its capabilities.

[1] http://openvswitch.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=openvswitch;a=blob_plain;f=README;hb=HEAD
[2] http://openvswitch.org/cgi-bin/ovsman.cgi?page=vswitchd%2Fovs-brcompatd.8.in