[Openstack-operators] High availability

Michael Grosser mail at seetheprogress.com
Wed Oct 10 00:22:28 UTC 2012

Hey,

I can't help with the HA with the actual openstack setup, but for HA
of the vms I think I can try.
First: You could have HA for the persistent storage with a volume
backend like ceph, which is replicating the data.
Second: I would recommend to use a controller service for HA of the actual VMs.
Something like rightscale or scalr (opensource) this is making HA
easier and failover to other environments easier.
Having a Hybrid environment or if your private environment get's stuck
for a day you could failover to a public one or a second openstack
deployment in another datacenter.
Abstracting the VM failover and HA capabilities is ensuring more
flexibility in the long-run.

Third: Going back to the openstack HA, you could take a look at having
the 2 control nodes being held online with heartbeat or pacemaker etc.
I hope someone else can help out here.

Cheers Michael