[Openstack-operators] Live snapshot behavior in Openstack - VM pauses during snapshot process

Steve Anderson dafridgie at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 18:14:33 UTC 2012

Hi All,
I've been testing snapshotting in the lab and have found that i get
interruptions to service when taking snapshots of the VM. I notice that
depending on Vm size, this interruption lasts longer the bigger a Vm gets.
I'm using Openstack Folsom on 12.04 but also see this with essex as well.

I am aware that this isnt snapshotting in the sense that it is a 'point in
time snapshot of the Vm disk and memory contents' as is the case with other
hypervisors using their management toolsets.
Openstack snapshotting creates a crash consistent copy of the virtual
machine as a snapshot - essentially a Vm clone

So my questions are:
Is there anyway that i can reduce the 'pause time' experienced by a Vm
during snapshotting that anyone is aware of ?Any known workarounds etc... ?
Also, are there any plans for introducing full memory+ disk snapshot
capability into Openstack for KVM at some point in the future?
(Qemu/libvirt do seem to support this outside of Nova/Openstack if I'm not
mistaken).
In our environment , true snapshot capability for VMs would really clear
away a big hurdle for better customer adoption

Any help or guidance would be really appreciated

thanks for your time

Steve A