[Openstack-operators] Fwd: [openstack-dev] SSL and devstack

Joe Topjian joe.topjian at cybera.ca
Sun Oct 28 18:49:07 UTC 2012

Hi Joe,

Just to be clear, my interpretation of what Adam is proposing is that
unless an organizations CA is specified, Keystone will create a self-signed
SSL environment for itself. Totally OK with me.

This is how Puppet works in a client/server setup and I quite like it a
lot. It places more emphasis on the fact that communication is secure than
the (potential) hassle of configuring the environment with your existing
SSL infrastructure and ensuring all communication points are compatible
with that.

This is just my opinion, though. While my organization does use our own key
and CA for certain certs, it's not enough to warrant that they are used for
every SSL implementation. I'd love to hear what others think -- especially
those in larger SSL environments.

Joe

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 2:41 PM, heckj <heckj at mac.com> wrote:

> Adam posted this thread to the OpenStack-dev mailing list, but since some
> of the context here is what (simple) tooling requirements should exist for
> establishing SSL certs within the confines of various CA mechanisms, I
> thought it would be good to get some input from the broader operator
> community.
>
> The last paragraph being the one with relevant questions:
>
> > We can generate a csr based on the hostname of the machine,
> > and that way we know that the certificate is formatted for SSL, but is
> it really
> > better to write a tool to do this (it is goingto be done once very year
> or there
> > about) or just point the users at decent documentation about how to do it
> > themselves?
>
> The whole message:

Joe Topjian
Systems Administrator
Cybera Inc.

www.cybera.ca

Cybera is a not-for-profit organization that works to spur and support
innovation, for the economic benefit of Alberta, through the use
of cyberinfrastructure.