[Openstack-operators] novnc on Folsom multi node installation

Steve Anderson dafridgie at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 15:18:07 UTC 2012

Hi All,

I'm having issues getting novnc to work correctly in Folsom with Horizon
and could really use some advice or guidance as to where I'm going wrong

My config is as follows:
ubuntu 12.04 using Cloud archive for Folsom code base

1 Cloud controller running all usual
nova/glance/keystone/nova-compute/quantum services services
its ip is 172.28.137.65

2 only cloud nodes running nova compute
node 1 Ip is 172.28.137.64
node 2 IP is 172.28.137.68

CC and both nodes all have multiple Nics installed. The management network
runs on eth1 connected to the 172.28.137.x network

I have installed nova-novncproxy and novnc on all nodes + cloud controller
I have the dashboard up and running on the cloud controller at
http://172.28.137.65/horizon/

My CC nova.conf is as follows:
vnc_enabled=true
novncproxy_base_url=http://172.28.137.65:6080/vnc_auto.html
vncserver_listen=0.0.0.0
vncserver_proxyclient_address=172.28.137.65

My nova.conf for node 1 is as follows (172.28.137.64):
vnc_enabled=true
novncproxy_base_url=http://172.28.137.65:6080/vnc_auto.html
vncserver_listen=0.0.0.0
vncserver_proxyclient_address=172.28.137.64

My Nova.conf for Node 2 is as follows(172.28.137.68):
vnc_enabled=true
novncproxy_base_url=http://172.28.137.65:6080/vnc_auto.html
vncserver_listen=0.0.0.0
vncserver_proxyclient_address=172.28.137.68
In addition to nova-compute, I'm running nova-consoleauth and nova-cert on
all nodes

I can successfully use the Nova client to generate a novnc link via nova
get-vnc-console <name> novnc
I paste the resulting url  in a browser and all is good - i can access each
vm VNC console running on any host in this manner. I do have to refresh 3
times to get a successful connection however, dont know if this is related.
this works with latest chrome/firefox browsers

all ok so far..........

when i try this via the dashboard - i get a failed to connect to server
(code: 1006) regardless of browser used

Is anyone else seeing this with folsom ?

Have i mis-configured something (very likely)  or maybe missing package
dependencies ?

any help or guidance  would be really appreciated

cheers

Steve a