[Openstack-operators] [Openstack][SWIFT] Proxies Sizing for 90.000 / 200.000 RPM

Alejandro Comisario alejandro.comisario at mercadolibre.com
Mon Oct 22 11:54:39 UTC 2012

Hi Stackers !
This is the thing, today we have a 24 datanodes (3 copies, 90TB usables)
each datanode has 2 intel hexacores CPU with HT and 96GB of RAM, and 6
Proxies with the same hardware configuration, using swift 1.4.8 with
keystone.
Regarding the networking, each proxy / datanodes has a dual 1Gb nic, bonded
in LACP mode 4, each of the proxies are behind an F5 BigIP Load Balancer (
so, no worries over there ).

Today, we are receiving 5000 RPM ( Requests per Minute ) with 660 RPM per
Proxies, i know its low, but now ... with a new product migration, soon (
really soon ) we are expecting to receive about a total of 90.000 RPM
average ( 1500 req / s ) with weekly peaks of 200.000 RPM ( 3500 req / s )
to the swift api, witch will be 90% public gets ( no keystone auth ) and
10% authorized PUTS (keystone in the middle, worth to know that we have a
10 keystone vms pool, connected to a 5 nodes galera mysql cluster, so no
worries there either )

So, 3500 req/s divided by 6 proxy nodes doesnt sounds too much, but well,
its a number that we cant ignore.
What do you think about this numbers? does this 6 proxies sounds good, or
we should double or triple the proxies ? Does anyone has this size of
requests and can share their configs ?

One more tip, that is not a minor tip, is that the average size of the
requested objects will be from 50K to 150K.

Thanks a lot, hoping to ear from you guys !

-----
alejandrito
*
*