[Openstack-operators] Working of nova-network and nova-compute, basic questions

Andrew Glen-Young andrew.glen-young at canonical.com
Fri Oct 12 17:06:51 UTC 2012

On Fri 12-10-2012 09:32 ›, Salman Toor wrote:

> Some comments are inlined.  On Oct 12, 2012, at 5:55 AM, Matt Joyce
> wrote:
>
> > - Do I need to create a bridge on the new compute node, when I don't
> > want to run nova-network on that node? I think bridge is only
> > required by the nova-network? But than I get confused with how the
> > network will work? I mean all the traffic of the VMs will go from
> > the node running nova-network? I guess this is not correct right?
> >

> > Depends on how your networking is set up.  But usually a bridge is
> > created for each virtual interface of your instances.  nova-compute
> > will do that for you.
>
> So with this statement should I understand that the bridge is also
> required/used by nova-compute… right?  In this case I thing the
> traffic will not route through the node that runs the nova-network….

The bridge is required to connect the instance interfaces to the host's
interface. Think of the bridge as a virtual switch connecting the
instances and the host machines. It should not affect routing.

> > If all the traffic from VMs will route through the node running
> > nova-network then should I run nova-network on each compute node as
> > well? Or what is the correct way?
> >

> > depends on your networking configuration.
>
> Can you please explain it a bit. I mean in a very simple scenario,
>
> node-A, controller node running nova-api, nova-network,
> nova-scheduler, nova-cert, nova-cert, nova-objectstore, nova-volume
>
> node-B, only nova-compute
>
> Will the traffic of the booted instances on node-B will route from
> node-A or not.

Unfortunately, it still depends... I will try clarify.

In this scenario, all floating_ip traffic will be NAT'ed via the
nova-network host and so will be routed via this host. The fixed_ip
traffic will route via the compute node's default gateway. The gateway
may be the nova-network host, but not necessarily.

Hope this helps.

--
Regards.
Andrew Glen-Young