[Openstack-operators] Working of nova-network and nova-compute, basic questions

Salman Toor salman.toor at it.uu.se
Fri Oct 12 03:26:00 UTC 2012

Hi,

Recently  I have finished the single node installation and want to install another compute node(with this I mean only nova-compute service will be running there. all the other services like nova-scheduler, nova-cert, nova-api, nova-network, nova-consoleauth, nova-volume and nova objectstore will continue on the controller node). I have some basic questions.

- Do I need to have nova-api on each compute node? I guess yes.

- What is good practice to run compute node? I mean do I need nova-volume, nova-cert and nova-scheduler on each compute node?

- Do I need to create a bridge on the new compute node, when I don't want to run nova-network on that node? I think bridge is only required by the nova-network? But than I get confused with how the network will work? I mean all the traffic of the VMs will go from the node running nova-network? I guess this is not correct right?

If all the traffic from VMs will route through the node running nova-network then should I run nova-network on each compute node as well? Or what is the correct way?

I have read the section "Logical Architecture" from the Admin Manual,

"The nova-compute process is primarily a worker daemon that creates and terminates virtual machine instances via hypervisor's APIs (XenAPI for XenServer/XCP, libvirt for KVM or QEMU, VMwareAPI for VMware, etc.). The process by which it does so is fairly complex but the basics are simple: accept actions from the queue and then perform a series of system commands (like launching a KVM instance) to carry them out while updating state in the database."

"The nova-network worker daemon is very similar to nova-compute and nova-volume. It accepts networking tasks from the queue and then performs tasks to manipulate the network (such as setting up bridging interfaces or changing iptables rules). This functionality is being migrated to Quantum, a separate OpenStack service. In the Folsom release, much of the functionality will be duplicated between nova-network and Quantum."

I will be very thankful  if someone will put some light on these basic issues or refer me some links where I can find the answer.

Thanks in advance.

Regards..
Salman.