[Openstack-operators] Live Migration and instances stores

Dave Spano dspano at optogenics.com
Tue Nov 27 20:22:52 UTC 2012

Not sure if this is sufficient for you or not, but I currently use the rbd portion of ceph for Openstack. I don't currently do live migrations because it's not feasible for me to setup the extra storage. Instead, I do block migrations, and these work rather well.

The only bad part is that you have to release the floating ip, migrate the instance, and then reassign it to the vm. Otherwise, the vm's networking gets messed up. I use nova-network in multi-host mode, so I'm not sure if the same behavior would happen with Quantum.

Sébastian Han wrote a great article on block migration if you're interested.

http://www.sebastien-han.fr/blog/2012/07/12/openstack-block-migration/

I noted at the bottom of the article that the block migration functionality won't take affect with currently running instances. You have to terminate, then re-spawn them after you make your changes to nova.conf.

Dave Spano