[Openstack-operators] Problems using python-novaclient remotely: all publicUrl endpoints are relative to localhost

Adrian Petrescu apetresc at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 05:37:21 UTC 2012

I'm running a simple single-node OpenStack installation on Ubuntu 12.04.
Everything runs fine through the web GUI and local command line client, but
I seem to have problems when using the python novaclient remotely.

I configure the client with the proper auth URL (in this case, suppose that
is at http://192.168.1.135:5000/v2.0/) and from stepping through the
debugger it looks like a token is successfully obtained. However, the
publicUrl endpoints that the auth API returns are all wrong: it reverts
back to localhost! The python client therefore makes all future requests
against localhost instead of 192.168.1.135 which therefore (of course)
fails.

I have looked through the Settings page on the web UI and both
/etc/nova/nova.conf and /etc/keystone/keystone.conf and cannot find
anywhere that I have improperly configured the public URL to be hardcoded
to localhost. I could work around this by forcing the client to use the
right path, but I feel there must be a simple way to fix the endpoints that
auth is returning.

Any suggestions? :)

Thanks!
Adrian