[Openstack-operators] Network issue while trying to communicate to legacy net

Christian Parpart trapni at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 10:32:33 UTC 2012

Hey all,

while trying to soft-migrate from our current legacy solution to OpenStack
(with VLAN enabled)
it seems, that I am having one major problem left.

This is our layout:

OpenStack/Management Network: 10.10.0.0/19
Legacy Network: 192.168.0.0/16

nova-network node: 10.10.30.5
all legacy physical nodes also got an IP in 10.10.30.XX additionally to
their 192.168.2.XX.

Production Tenant Net: 10.10.40.0/21

Now, our nova-network node knows *all* routes, that is,
every VM (and OpenStack hardware node) has this single node
as gateway set up, and thus, can also reach the legacy network via
this gateway. At least that was the plan,
because it is working from legacy-network -> to new 10.10.40.x project
network,
but not from the project's VMs towards the legacy network.

This **might** be because nova.conf has fixed_range set to 10.10.0.0/16,
which includes 10.10.0.0/19 and 10.10.40.0/21, and both can talk to
each other.

But while mirating to openstack, the 10.10.40.0/21 MUST also be able to
tcp connect to 192.168.x.y hosts, which is not working (but the other way
around).

My only guess is, that maybe the nova-network node is preventing traffic
into
the 192.168.x.y network, but I cannot verify that easily.

Has anyone an idea on how I could investigate herre, or even how to solve
this issue?

Many thanks in advance and best regards,
Christian Parpart.