[Openstack-operators] Using a SAN for nova-volume & KVM

Thomas Vachon vachon at sessionm.com
Fri Jul 27 19:13:28 UTC 2012

Hi All,

We are architecting our system for KVM (as it is the best hypervisor for
your money for HA networking) and a SAN for HA nova-volumes.  The only
reference to being able to use a SAN is with XenServer as the hypervisor.
 I have no problem giving a server permission to create luns (or
pre-creating them if I have to) for now.  I want to make sure I can point
all the stuff to the SAN instead of doing some half-hearted attempt by
using a box as a proxy.

Our san is an EQL so iSCSI is easy.  Also, we run our "san" net on
a separate 10Gbe set of interfaces (all the servers have connectivity into
the SAN layer).

Any thoughts?

--
Thomas Vachon