[Openstack-operators] Examples/demonstration on running OpenStack in Data-Centre

Warren Wang warren at wangspeed.com
Wed Jul 25 04:32:33 UTC 2012

Running software within VMs is nothing new, and that's not the primary sell
for Openstack.  It's the ability to automate and orchestrate VMs and the
management of those VMs that makes cloud computing interesting.  You should
be able to lose an instance, and simply not care.  Design the site to be
resilient, and use Openstack and Chef/Puppet/CFengine/etc to configure them.

I've been demoing our proof of concept a number of times internally, and
one of the things that gets folks attention is the ability to nuke a VM,
and simply move the service to another VM, and see that the service is up
and running within 2-3 on the new node.  Of course, in a prod environment,
you can put these behind a load balancer to make things more seemless.
When you start talking about multiple cloud environments across multiple
data centers, things become more interesting.

There are a lot of things that you can do to demo a cloud environment.  You
don't necessarily have to look at just Openstack to get ideas.  You can get
ideas from EC2 as well.

Good luck,
Warren