[Openstack-operators] A serious mistake on devstack guide frontpage (to cause the compute nodes's state to be XXX)

zhaoyi.luo zhaoyi.luo at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 15 14:20:31 UTC 2012

The problem was, when issue "nova-manage service list" all the compute nodes's state are XXX instead of :-), and they didn't work in fact too.
After 2 days' struggle, I find the configuration files in http://devstack.org/guides/multinode-lab.html have mistake: MYSQL_PASS should be MYSQL_PASSWORD, and RABBIT_PASS should be RABBIT_PASSWORD.
Devstack can be installed successfully without any notice if RABBIT_PASSWORD is not set(while there would be a prompt for MYSQL_PASSWORD), but compute nodes cannot work because they cannot access to the message queue, and you can only see the state is XXX.

hope my experience can help other operators to avoid this issue~

another problem: why I used --hint force_hosts option to specify host to boot instances on( http://docs.openstack.org/essex/openstack-compute/admin/content/specify-host-to-boot-instances-on.html) but it doesn't work?(it scheduled as this option is not set)