[Openstack-operators] Bad performance on physical hosts kvm + bonding + bridging

Leandro Reox leandro.reox at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 13:55:36 UTC 2012

Ok, here is the story, we deployed some inhouse APIs in our Openstack
privade cloud, and we were stressing them up, we realize that some packages
were taking so long, to discard the behavior of the api, we installed
apache, lighttpd and event tried with netcat, of course on the guest
systems running ubuntu 10.10 w/virtio, after getting nuts modifing sysctl
parameters to change the guest behavior, we realized that if we installed
apache, or lighttpd on the PHYSICAL host the behavior was the same ....,
that surprised us, when we try the same benchmark on a node without
bonding, bridging and without any KVM packages or nova installed, with the
same HW specs, the benchmark passes OK, but if we run the same tests on a
spare nova node with everything installed + bonding + bridging that never
run a virtual guest machine, the test fails too, so, so far:

Tested on hosts with Ubuntu 10.10, 11.10 and 12.04

- Clean node without bonding + briding or KVM - just the eth0 configured -
PASS
- Spare node with bridging - PASS
- Spare node with just bonding (dynamic link aggr mode4) - PASS
- Spare node with nova + kvm + bonding + bridging - FAILS
- Spare node with nova + kvm - PASS

Is there a chance that working with bridging + bonding + nova some module
get screwed, ill attach the tests , you can see that a small amount of
packages takes TOO LONG, like 3secs, and the overhead time is on the
"CONNECT" phase

This is ApacheBench, Version 2.3 <$Revision: 655654 $>
Copyright 1996 Adam Twiss, Zeus Technology Ltd, http://www.zeustech.net/
Licensed to The Apache Software Foundation, http://www.apache.org/

Benchmarking 172.16.161.25 (be patient)
Completed 2500 requests
Completed 5000 requests
Completed 7500 requests
Completed 10000 requests
Completed 12500 requests
Completed 15000 requests
Completed 17500 requests
Completed 20000 requests
Completed 22500 requests
Completed 25000 requests
Finished 25000 requests

Server Software:        Apache/2.2.16
Server Hostname:        172.16.161.25
Server Port:            80

Document Path:          /
Document Length:        177 bytes

Concurrency Level:      5
Time taken for tests:   7.493 seconds
Complete requests:      25000
Failed requests:        0
Write errors:           0
Total transferred:      11350000 bytes
HTML transferred:       4425000 bytes
Time per request:       1.499 [ms] (mean)
Time per request:       0.300 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
Transfer rate:          1479.28 [Kbytes/sec] received

Connection Times (ms)
             min  mean[+/-sd] median   max
Connect:        0    1  46.6      0    3009
Processing:     0    1   5.7      0     277
Waiting:        0    0   4.6      0     277
Total:          0    1  46.9      1    3010

Percentage of the requests served within a certain time (ms)
 50%      1
 66%      1
 75%      1
 80%      1