[Openstack-operators] New mailing list server

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Thu Jul 5 21:06:18 UTC 2012

Thanks to Duncan McGreggor, James E. Blair and Antony Messerly, we now
have a new mailing list server. This was necessary in order to proceed
with the decision to create a new mailing list for the OpenStack
developers.

The new server is now managed within the OpenStack Infrastructure team,
with Duncan as main mailman guru and helper.

The new mailing list server has better looking archives and info pages
for the individual lists, integrated with the look-and-feel of other
openstack.org websites. If you find issues, mistakes please file a bug
on  https://bugs.launchpad.net/~openstack-ci, tag it as 'mailman'.

In the next days we'll start discussing how to migrate the OpenStack
General mailing list hosted on Launchpad to the new server and other
mailing lists. Lets have separate threads about it.

Below is the current layout of OpenStak Mailing Lists.

Name: General
Host: https://launchpad.net/~openstack
This list is for general OpenStack community information and discussion.
It is focused on the current stable release of OpenStack. You should
join this list to keep current on OpenStack matters, to ask questions
(and to give answers) on difficulties running OpenStack or how to start
participating in OpenStack. This is also the right place to report your
successes running OpenStack: we like to know when things work, too :)

Name: Developers
Host: lists.openstack.org (new list)
This list for the developers of OpenStack to discuss development issues
and roadmap. It is focused on the next release of OpenStack: you should
post on this list if you are a contributor to OpenStack or are very
familiar with OpenStack development and want to discuss very precise
topics, contribution ideas and similar. Do not ask support requests on
this list.

Name: Foundation
Current host: lists.openstack.org
This  is the list to hold discussions about the OpenStack Foundation, to
 discuss during the startup phase. The role of this list after the
startup phase wil be determined later.

Name: Operators
Current host: lists.openstack.org (should it be merged into the General
list?)
This is a specific list for existing OpenStack cloud operators. It is a
forum to exchange best practices around operating an OpenStack
installation at scale.

Name: Announce
Current host: lists.openstack.org
Announcements about the OpenStack project like product release
information and security advisories. This is a read-only list.

Name: Academia
Current host: Launchpad https://launchpad.net/~openstack-academia
The mission of OpenStack Academic Initiative is to provide: a place for
all research academics efforts can be advertised and found, about and
around OpenStack.
    (can be moved to new lists.openstack.org)

Name: Community
Current host: Launchpad https://launchpad.net/~openstack-community
The OpenStack Community  team is the main contact point for anybody
running a local OpenStack User Group. Join this team if you are hosting
or want to start a user group with  meetups, hackatons and other social
events talking about OpenStack and  free/libre open source software for
the cloud.
    (can be moved to new lists.openstack.org)

Not sure about:
subprojects like:

    netstack - https://launchpad.net/~netstack DW: the volume on this
list is fairly though, but the current plan is to deprecate it and use
the same developer list solution as other core projects.

    volume - unknown URI