[Openstack-operators] Advice on setup for a test rig

Jeff Kramer jeffkramer at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 23:39:40 UTC 2012

You can setup Nova and Swift in VMs in VMWare Workstation or
Virtualbox to see how the pieces fit together, you can even setup 4+
VMs to see Swift balance or 3+ VMs to see Nova do it's network thing.
As long as you don't intend to use it for real world loads, it
virtualizes just fine.

A good testbed system for storage would probably be 1 proxy and 4+
storage nodes with as many hard drives in the storage nodes as you
have.  A good testbed for Nova would be one or two management nodes
(so you can separate glance or rabbit onto it's own machine to see how
that works) and 2+ compute nodes (so you can see how network
separation and instance balancing works).  If you want to try out the
VLAN mode you'll need a tagged VLAN capable switch, something like the
HP ProCurve 1810G-24 switch.  If you don't have the option to do
tagged VLANs in your colo environment, you may want to stick to
testing the flatdhcp and flatdhcp HA options.