[Openstack-operators] [Openstack] Future of Launchpad OpenStack mailing list (this list)

Brian Schott brian.schott at nimbisservices.com
Tue Aug 28 19:14:42 UTC 2012

At the risk of getting bad e-karma for cross posting to openstack-operators, that might be the place to post that question.  I for one disagree that we should merge the openstack general list into openstack-operators at lists.openstack.org and the only other vote I caught on this thread also disagreed.

Several reasons:

1) new users will look for openstack at openstack.lists.openstack.org  because openstack-dev@ and openstack-operators@ are both specific things.  community@ might have been an option, but that is taken already.
2) operations guys are just as specialized as devs in terms of what they want to talk about, it isn't meant for general "why openstack" questions.
3) if/when you migrate email addresses / logs it will be easier to move them to a brand new list.  Otherwise you will have to try to merge history and not step on existing data.
4) reusing an email address for the sake of optimization of having "too many lists" at the cost of community confusion is false optimization, you'll just get more non-dev traffic on the dev list if the choice is -dev or -operators.

Brian

Brian Schott, CTO
Nimbis Services, Inc.
brian.schott at nimbisservices.com