[Openstack-operators] Image failing to mount filesystems?

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Thu Aug 23 14:35:32 UTC 2012

Hi All,

Weird possibly transient issue with OpenStack Essex running on Ubuntu 12.04.

The official 12.04 Ubuntu "cloud image" is the basis for most
instances we run and we've run thousands, but today one instance is
failing to boot with:

Begin: Running /scripts/local-premount ... done.
[    2.343486] EXT4-fs (vda1): mounted filesystem with ordered data
mode. Opts: (null)
Begin: Running /scripts/local-bottom ... done.
done.
Begin: Running /scripts/init-bottom ... done.
[    3.186354] init: mountall main process (357) killed by FPE signal
General error mounting filesystems.
A maintenance shell will now be started.
CONTROL-D will terminate this shell and reboot the system.
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue):

Which is particularly odd as it previously seems to have mounted root
just fine.  It does have a second ephemeral disk which is not unusual
for us, though it is not trying to attach any persistent volumes.  The
disk images seem to be in the right place on the compute node, file
identifies them as qcow images and they are of the proper size, but
I'm not familiar with any deeper ways of examining the image files to
see if their internal state is somehow corrupted.  And this image has
a randomized root password I can't easily enter a maintenance shell.

Any thoughts on where to look for what tripped up or shall I just
blame quantum anomalies and hope it doesn't happen again?

Thanks,
-Jon